Parks & Rec. Dance & Gymnastics Studio
Dance & Gymnastics Descriptions
P&R Dance & Gymnastics Class Descriptions:
KinderTap, Ballet, Jazz: ages 5&6, 40 or 45 minute class. Curriculum is designed to introduce basic Ballet, Tap, and Jazz terms, technique and floor work. This covers Barr and center work, movement such as turns and leaps across the floor. Curriculum helps develop small and large motor skills and infuses coordination builders. Spring session also incorporates routine preparation for the Spring Recital. This class will perform in all Spring Dance Recitals.
Toddlers, Tiara's, Tutu's and Tumbling ( 4T's): Ages 3&4, 30 minute class. Curriculum is designed to expose this age group to basic floor tumbling ( front rolls, bridges, cartwheels, low balance beam, hand/eye coordination games with bean bags, bubbles, etc,) following 1 and 2 step directions and developing listening skills. The tumbling segment covers the first 5 weeks of class in the fall and spring. The remainder of the session is devoted to creative movement and basic ballet center, movement across the floor and routine preparation for Spring Recital. Beginner ballet terms are introduced to this age level. This class will only perform in the dance recital (not the gymnastics recital).
Tap, Ballet, and Jazz Classes: Grades 1-5. 50 minute class. A student may take this class for 2 or more years before advancing to a higher level. Curriculum covers Tap, Ballet, Jazz fundamentals and techniques but on a more challenging level. Tap, Ballet, and Jazz center and across the floor work. Leaps and turns are stressed on a more challenging level. Spring session also incorporates routine preparation for the Spring Recital. This class will perform in all Spring Recitals.
Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop Classes: Ages 7-10 . 50 minute class. A student may take this class for 2 or more years before advancing to a higher level. Curriculum covers Tap and Jazz fundamentals. Tap and Jazz will cover center, leaps, turns and across the floor work. Hip Hop is fast paced: balance based stunts, turns, and incorporates some Pop and Lock (unusual movements where body movements are isolated, accented, quick pulses, or held). This dance movement is constantly changing and many trends may be combined. Spring session also incorporates routine preparation for the Spring Recital. This class will perform in all Spring Recitals.
Pointe': This class is only available for the Jr. and Sr. Accelerated classes. It is designed for the more serious dance student. Curriculum is designed to strengthen toes, feet, ankles, legs and center core (upper body). Pointe' takes serious practice as well as ballet technique classes. Since students develop at different rates, going on Pointe' is decided by the Ballet instructor and studio director. It may take several years of this class before a student is ready to actually go on Pointe'. Patience, dedication, and practice are required. This class will perform in the Spring Recitals.
Hip Hop: Ages 7-10 and ages 11-15: Hip Hop is street dance culture infused with jazz favor. It has fast paced movements, balance based stunts, turns, and incorporates some Pop and Lock (unusual movements where body movements are isolated, accented, quick pulses, or held). This dance movement is constantly changing and many trends may be combined. The Hip Hop dance trend is loose so everyone can develop their own style and movements. Spring session also incorporates routine preparation for the Spring Recital. This class will perform in all Spring Recitals.
NEW! Middle School Dance Team Technique Class: This class is for grades 5-8. It is designed to work on Jazz, Pom and Hip Hop technique that is required for the middle school level. Curriculum will will focus proper technical execution, leaps, turns, extension control, body placement, hip hop stalls,and more. Short routines will be taught to sharpen smooth transition, level changes,and incorporate the technical elements and visual effects.
NEW! Tap, Jazz, and Musical Theater Classes: ages 11-15 45 minute class. This is a perfect class for the older student who wants to dance but is on a beginner/intermediate level. A student may take this class for 2 or more years before advancing to a higher level. Curriculum covers Tap, Jazz and, Musical Theater basic fundamentals and technique. Class will focus on Tap and Jazz center, leaps, turns and across the floor work. . Short Musical Theater Dance routines will be introduced. The Spring session also incorporates one routine preparation for the Spring Recital. This class will perform in all Spring Recitals.
Accelerated Dance Company Requirements
Mini Accelerated Dance Company: Ages 6+. This class is designed for the younger student who has had 2+ years of dance and wants to advance to the next level of instruction. Teacher approval required.
- The Mini?s will experience more performance opportunities at community events and recitals.
- This class schedule is longer: 1 hours weekly and 6 Saturday workshops.Additional rehearsals may be added
- Practice and strict attendance is mandatory
- Class and costume fees are higher.
- The Mini Accelerated class will also have 6 mandatory Saturday workshops throughout the year. More may be added.
- Tap, Ballet and Jazz curriculum will move at a faster pace and step mastery will be strongly encouraged.
- This year a new and deeper ballet curriculum will be introduced.
- Strict dance attire is required. See attire requirements.
- Company dance warm-up jackets are encouraged but not required.
- Dance bags are required. A NEW company dance bags may be ordered or use one of choice.
Jr. & Sr. Accelerated Dance Company: These classes are designed for student with 4+ (Jr.) and 6-8+ (Sr.) years of dance experience. Teacher exceptions may be made. This program offers a full dance curriculum for the student who wants to excel In Tap, Ballet, Lyrical and Jazz. Hip Hop, Pom Pom, and Musical Theater dance styles may be covered.
- Age and grade level are considered in class placement.
- Lyrical ballet is introduced at this level.
- The Jr. & Sr. Accelerated Dance Company will have more performance opportunities such as parades, community events, ballgames, and recitals.
- Competitions may be scheduled.
- These classes meet twice a week for 3 to 4 hours total. Class times may be lengthened when necessary.
- Practice and strict attendance are mandatory.
- Class and costume fees are higher.
- There are 6 mandatory Saturday workshops throughout the year. More may be added.
- The Jr. & Sr. Accelerated student may enroll in the pointe' class.
- Company dance warm-ups (Jackets and Pants) are required. This cost may run from $115 to $125 depending on amount ordered.
- Ballet attire required (black tank leotard, pink tights and ballet shoes). These will be ordered at one specific time (TBA). This cost is not covered by costume fees.
- Additional fees for performance attire may be required outside of Costume fees. Cost will be kept as minimal as possible
- Dance bags and journals are required. A PRDG company dance bag may be ordered or use one of choice
- Dance journal purchase will be the responsibility of the student.
- Strict class dance attire is required. See attire requirements.
- Unexcused absenteeism may result in removal from the PAC program.
PRDG Accelerated Company Warm-ups & Dance Bags
Accelerated Company Warm-ups: Jackets $80, Pants $35 (prices may fluctuate due to amount ordered)
This includes all logos and name personalization embroidery on left front of jacket.
PRDG Dance Company Bag $33 with PRDG logo: $8 more if personalized
· 100% Polyester Heavyweight 840 Denier
· Fabric with PVC Coating
· Large U-shaped Compartment
· Zippered Side Pocket
· Front Pocket with Mesh Organizer
· Detachable and Adjustable Padded Shoulder Strap
· Heavy Duty Metal Hardware
· 23" x 12" x 10.5"
Gymnastics Class Descriptions
Mommy and Me; ages 2&3, 30 minutes. This is a parent participation class. The Parent will be working with their child the entire class period. This is a fun and constructive class, designed to introduce a child to tumbling. Activities are focused on small and large motor skill development, hand-eye coordination, and basic tumbling (Balance beam, mat skills, songs, parachute, small hand manipulatives, and more). This is a fun class for the parent as well as the student. This class does not perform in our April Recitals.
Gymnastics: beginner/intermediate. 1st -5th gd. 50 minutes. Conditioning, stretching, basic tumbling skills (front, back, and straddle rolls, cartwheels, stunts and trick acrobatics may be introduced). Proper technique stressed. Students may take this class up to 3 years. This class meets once a week so conditioning and practicing at home is a must for skill mastery. Students will perform in the Spring presentation. Location, dates and time TBA
Gymnastics: advanced. Ability based. 50 minutes. Students must have mastered a backward roll, back kick-over or back walkover, hold handstand with spotter and running round-off with correct punch (rebound) to advance to this level. Conditioning, stretching, running round-off punch, Front and back walkovers, back-overs, standing back handspring, running round-off-back handspring. Stunts and trick acrobatics may be introduced. This class meets once a week so conditioning and practicing at home is a must for skill mastery. Students will perform in a Spring performance. Location, dates and time TBA
KinderGym: ages 5&6. 30 Minutes. Introduction to basic tumbling skills (front roll, bridges, angel touches, handstand kick-ups, toe touches, cartwheels, tuck jumps, low balance beam, spotting blocks, small hand manipulatives, etc.). Simple stunts may be introduced. Students will perform in a Spring performance. Location, dates and time TBA